Syscons resurrected

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 21 02:09:40 PST 2003

I've put up a new kernel and loader, and syscons mods, at

  http://www.freebsd.org/~grehan/kernel
                                /loader
                                /syscons.diff
                                /syscons.new.tgz

and done some minor updates on the install instructions to
reflect changes to the loader

  http://www.freebsd.org/install.html

  Some minor improvements on the previous syscons:

   - the font size can be selected from the loader e.g.

      OK set hw.syscons.fsize=8     / for 8x8

      OK set hw.syscons.fsize=14    / for 8x14

     The default is cp-437 8x16.

   - The font can be changed at run-time using vidfont or vidcontrol -f.
     The resolution can't be changed from what was selected at boot-time

   - The default screen border is 1 char width. This can be changed
     with the loader tunable hw.syscons.border, in units of chars.

   - 'shutdown -h' and reboot now work thanks to Drew G.

  I'll try and get a minimal ADB module coded so notebook users don't
have to plug in an external USB keyboard.

later,

Peter.