FreeBSD on an nVidia-based PowerBook G4 17" 1GHz

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Thu Dec 11 12:25:23 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:57:40PM -0500, Barry Hawkins wrote:
:
:The Problem Issues with a 1GHz 17" PowerBook G4
:-The 100MHz bus
:-The 1MB L3 cache
:-The nVidia GeForce Go 440 card

The XFree86 driver in 4.4 should be quite improved over the 4.3 one.
(4.4 is "scheduled" to be released New Years Eve, 2003)

:-The Airport Extreme wireless card (Broadcom chipset)

I don't think you'll be seeing a driver for this soon.  Broadcom isn't
releasing any documentation for this driver, and I'm not sure if the
will write binary-only drivers for */PPC.  (I hope for full
documentation, but I'll be realistic, and not expect it :( )

:-The USB software modem
:

Similar issue to the Airport Extreme.  No docs for it, and it is
unlikely a binary driver for */PPC will be relased.

If anyone is able to get documentation for the Airport Extreme, the USB
soft-modem, or the on board sound, please post to this list.  I know
people in the OpenBSD project who are working on drivers for these,
but w/o docs, it is slow going.