iBook powerpc FreeBSD

Joel Diaz joeldiaz at mac.com
Wed Dec 3 08:44:02 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 10:11 AM, Sean Welch wrote:

> Hello!  It has been quite a while but I'm still following this list
> and I'm impressed by the improvements in both build process
> (cross compile) and capabilities.
>
> I was wondering if you could offer a bit of clarification; I noticed
> you make a distinction between older and newer machines when
> it comes to using the console.  I saw it has something to do with
> the fact that the newer machines have the keyboard attached
> via the USB bus (?!?!?) so that something like a powerbook G4
> should be able to use the new console code but the old iBook
> (clamshell '99 era) won't because it has an ADB type keyboard.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all the
keyboards on the Apple notebooks use an ADB keyboard.  All the ones
I've used have had it (I haven't used any recent ones.)  The way to
check is as follows:

Press and hold the caps lock key.  Notice how the light turns on as
soon as it is pressed down.  Now let go and it will stay lit.  Now
press and hold it again and see how the light stays on while pressed
and turns off when you finally let go of the key for the second time.

I remember that being a test for whether or not you have an ADB
keyboard.

I just tried it on my iBook (600MHz), and the behavior on the keyboard
on the laptop differs (ie. it's the behavior described above) from that
of the USB keyboard which is also attached to my iBook.

Joel