Project Status

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 1 23:44:48 PST 2003

Hi Phil,

 > So far I was able to compile bash (and apache, for kicks) --

  Out of interest, did they run up OK ?

> 	So far I was able to compile bash (and apache, for kicks) --
> 	seems to me that the ATA disks are running in PIO mode, even though
> 	I can't explicitly see it (atacontrol doesn't say anything special),
> 	I see 85-95% interrupts when untarring something with many files.

  The hint is in the boot message:

ad0: ... at ata0-master BIOSPIO

  where on a PC it would be "ata0-master UDMA100".

  DMA on macio ata devices uses the DBDMA dma controller, which is
nothing like Intel PIIX-style Ultra-DMA. Getting dma working is
on the TODO list.

> 	I tried to build world on my x86 machine last night (5.2-BETA),
> 	and IT panic'ed in the middle of compiling some PPC code :-(

!

later,

Peter.