Project Status

Phil Regnauld regnauld+ppc at catpipe.net
Mon Dec 1 22:37:17 PST 2003

Peter Grehan (grehan) writes:

> >panic: vn_pageout_flush: partially invalid page 0xe03b0440 index 0/1
> >	Stopped at   0x3496f3:      lwz r0, r1, 0x14
>
>  I get this panic when untarring on my 128Mb notebook (and the 64Mb
> B&W G3 :). Still investigating.
>
>  It's easy to reproduce on machines with more amounts of ram. Just
> create a file larger than memory size, and then dd it to /dev/zero.

	I just did that -- to create a swap file :)

> >VM activity seems to panic the system here and there.
>
>  Is it the same panic ?

	No, there's another one regarding a free page, still in
	the vm_* area.

	So far I was able to compile bash (and apache, for kicks) --
	seems to me that the ATA disks are running in PIO mode, even though
	I can't explicitly see it (atacontrol doesn't say anything special),
	I see 85-95% interrupts when untarring something with many files.

	I tried to build world on my x86 machine last night (5.2-BETA),
	and IT panic'ed in the middle of compiling some PPC code :-(