Xoscope nuisance console messages on Pi4 running -current

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Mon May 3 15:23:40 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 01:00:03AM -0700, Mark Millard via freebsd-ports wrote:
[detailed code tour omitted]

> My guess would be xoscope used a signed 32-bit type
> that got a value with sign extension to 64 bits
> before the value started being treated as unsigned.
> If it had used an unsigned type instead, the padding
> would have been a zero fill instead (presuming that
> I've guessed right).

So this was an artifact of compiling a 32 program on a 64 bit machine?
And, perhaps unnecessary use of signed versus unsigned integers?

This begs two more questions: It is harmless (seemingly not always),
and would it go away if compiled and run on a 32 bit machine, say armv7?

Many thanks for the detailed explanation, but I'll admit not understanding
much more than the quoted part above 8-(

bob prohaska