Python 2.7 removal outline

Dan Mahoney (Ports) freebsd at gushi.org
Fri Mar 26 19:19:34 UTC 2021

More thoughts on mailman, specifically:

So, I just went to find an old FB post I made about mailman 2.x:

===
From the "Load Bearing B****it" department:
Pretty much the entire world is stuck using an EOL'd mailing list manager (mailman 2.x), which depends on an EOL'd python (2.7).
This includes:
* All the gnu mailing lists
* All of the linux mailing lists at listman.redhat
* all the FreeBSD mailing lists
* all the sourceforge mailing lists
* all the IETF mailing lists
* all of lists.isc.org
* NANOG
===

That’s an AWFUL LOT of sysadmins, network admins, and coders who looked long and hard at Mailman 3 and decided “that’s not ready yet”.

I think, if *nothing else*, tauthon needs to be stapled in for mailman, even if it lives under /usr/local/mailman/bin or something (and bakes in the couple of dependencies).

I know about the archive incompatibility.  There *might* be a GSOC project to fix it.  Maybe.  Other changes can happen with greater use, but clearly there’s a first-mover disadvantage here.

-Dan