Python 2.7 removal outline

Jose Quinteiro freebsd at quinteiro.org
Thu Mar 25 15:39:12 UTC 2021

I meant to send this reply to the list. I beg for @bapt's forgiveness
for the inbox echo.

On 3/25/21 8:03 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 12:02:29PM +0100, Olivier Certner wrote:
>>
>> 2. Leverage overlays to provide additional repos, a bit like AUR for Arch.
>> Here I'm in fact building on top of one of bapt@'s ideas. Sounds great for
>> publishing ports that are not in the official tree. But not necessarily for
>> package building: I personally won't commit to maintaining a separate build
>> cluster for all arches and supported FreeBSD versions, in the short term at
>> least.
>
> I really think we should as a project move forward to that direction, it does
> not even need to be driven by protmgr or even drive by any @freebsd.org
>
> I would argue here that it is even more interesting to go the gentoo way try to
> provide a tool to just server as a directory of available overlays
> with https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/pull/798 and
> https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/pull/797 it is even easier to public a
> light repo per overlay.

Former Gentoo overlays user here, chiming in with my experience. I wound
up maintaining my own overlay to work around upstream decisions that
didn't make sense to me. I found myself spending increasingly large
amounts of time working on this overlay over the years, until it started
to take so much time and effort that I questioned my decision to stick
with the platform. It certainly seemed like wasted effort since my
changes would never be accepted upstream, and I don't have the time or
money to launch an almost certainly unsuccessful Gentoo fork. I'm now
(back) here.

I'm not saying that overlays are bad and that they will necessary lead
to the same situation, but I do believe that saying "just put it in an
overlay" makes it easier to ignore your community's wishes precisely
when it's perhaps least advisable to do so.

If you look over in the forums you'll see at least several people
looking for Palemoon, Seamonkey, and other ways out of the
Firefox-Google hegemony. It really does seem arbitrary and capricious to
make an exception for Chromium, but not for these other browsers that
only need Tauthon as a build dependency.

Thanks,
Jose