Python 2.7 removal outline

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Wed Mar 24 21:20:21 UTC 2021

On 24/03/21 14:03, Rene Ladan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> below is an outline continuing the Python 2.7 cleanup:
>
> - all affected ports are now marked as deprecated, with an expiration date
>    of either 2020-12-31 or 2021-06-23.
> - we will have to wait for Chromium to fully switch to Python 3 before we
>    can fully remove Python 2.7. This is work in progress on their side. Not
>    waiting would imply removing www/chromium (obviously), editors/vscode
>    (it escaped the recursive-deprecation dance of devel/electron*), but most
>    importantly www/qt5-webengine which would drag half of KDE with it.
>    However, lang/python27 will be marked as RESTRICTED so that all ports
>    mentioned above can still be built and run, but Python 2.7 itself will
>    not be available as a package.

Just to be sure I get everything right.

The idea is to try to have www/qt5-webengine fixed before the expiration
time, saving with it a bunch of innocent ports depending on it, correct?

P.S. I want to make clear I have no objection about the removal of
python 2.7 and I'm really appalled by the situation with chrome build
system (*). I'm just letting the little worried user inside me express
his worries. I'd like to understand how we can reach the objective
without killing a bunch of perfectly working, supported and useful
software that is now being deprecated due to depending on
chrmoium/webengine. So I only ask a few questions to get the picture.

If I sound rude please pardon me, I really don't mean to be rude or
demanding!

[...]
> - Upstream Chromium is working on converting their codebase to Python 3 but
>    there is no completion date. Interestingly, adridg@ is experimenting with
>    converting www/qt5-webengine to Python 3 too.

Is there some ETA on these? Is it realistically possible for these to be
ready before the end of June?

> - We are indeed faster with dropping Python 2.7 than e.g. Ubuntu, however
>    more recent Debian/Ubuntu distributions are more and more dropping Python
>    2.7 too. This also has to do with how their branching model works, the
>    package set of Ubuntu LTS is determined a few months before the release
>    itself.

Is the deadline amendable if the plan does not unfold as expected? Or
are we really going to drop kde and a bunch of other working software to
stand out ground?

(*) I'm also really appalled by the fact that in the last few years
almost any software started having the need to include a fully fledged
html5/js engine but this is another story.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>