MariaDB Options for Port.,MariaDB Options for Port.

Yasuhiro Kimura yasu at utahime.org
Thu Mar 11 01:31:15 UTC 2021

From: "Janky Jay, III" <jankyj at unfs.us>
Subject: MariaDB Options for Port.,MariaDB Options for Port.
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 17:59:35 -0700

>     I've been trying to add a MariaDB option to a port I maintain but
> everything I have tried has failed. There's is obviously something I'm
> not understanding about the available options so I'm hoping someone can
> point me the right direction.
>
>     The port currently has a MySQL option which works fine but I'd like
> to add MariaDB in there as an alternative:
>
> .if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MMYSQLSERVER}
> USES+=      mysql:server
> .endif
>
>     Based on the information I found in the Porter's Handbook [1], it
> appears there are options for MariaDB but they come from variants of
> USES=mysql (such as "mysql:105m", for MariaDB.) However, setting this to
> the version isn't working. Plus, I don't want to specify a required
> version since there isn't one (I'd like users to be able to use whatever
> version they prefer.) It also appears I cannot use multiple USES= lines
> because aside from the version arg, it would just use those settings for
> MySQL and ignore MariaDB like it's already doing.
>
>     Below is the line I last tested without any luck. Again, I don't
> want to specify a version, though. I'd like it do the same thing that
> USES+=mysql does where it will install the default version if MariaDB
> doesn't exist but if it does, it'll find the correct libs and move
> forward with the dependency:
>
> .if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MMARIADBSERVER}
> USES+=      mysql:105m
> .endif
>
>     Can someone please point me to more informative documentation or
> maybe even provide an example port that is already doing this? I've
> searched the ports tree but failed to find anything helpful.
>
> [1] - https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/porters-handbook/#uses-mysql
>
> Regards,
> Janky Jay, III

Your port works fine with both MySQL and MariaDB. Right? If so you
should add `USES=mysql` without version arguments in the Makefile of
your port. Then user can specify which version of MySQL or MariaDB to
be used. For example, if he wants to use MariaDB 10.5 then he should
add following line in make.conf