www/joomla3 is no longer in the FreeBSD pkg repo

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Thu Mar 4 10:26:46 UTC 2021

Hi Chris,

> Am 04.03.2021 um 10:48 schrieb Chris Rees <crees at bayofrum.net>:
> ----
>
> - PDFlib Lite
>   Open-source edition for basic PDF generation, free for personal use.
>   PDFlib Lite does not support all languages, and is not available on
>   EBCDIC platforms.
> ----
>
> "Free for personal use" is not Free, and that's why the licence must be acknowledged.
>
> Unless you have found explicit mention that it is definitely under the PHP licence?
>
> Chris
>
> [1] https://github.com/Distrotech/PDFlib-Lite

You are right. Although I did not claim it was free for general use.

It used to be free to distribute in binary form as long as it was accompanied
by certain required documents. And redistribution is all the project needs to
care about. Or am I mistaken in this regard?

Anyway - I just fetched the current source and the license included is vastly
different from the one I investigated in 2020. At that time pdflib-lite included
the document PDFlib-Lite-license.pdf from which I quote:

----------
3 Redistribution

Redistribution in binary or source form by a commercial organization to any third party are permitted provided that all of the following conditions are met. Redistributing the program under these condi- tions does not necessarily give the recipient the right to use the program; using the program is always subject to the conditions in section 2.
[...]
3.3 Binary Redistribution

Redistributions in binary (compiled) form must include this license, the documentation, and program- ming samples. Not all programming samples must be included, but only the samples for program- ming languages which are actually supported by the binary distribution. As an alternative to including the documentation in a binary distribution, the documentation may also be made available separately for free download on the Internet in unmodified form. This »download« exception does not apply to other files which are part of the original distribution.
----------

I put a copy of that license document here:
https://cloud.hausen.com/s/5o77H2mxK6TRKoD

I would be very interested to know when the distribution file on the FreeBSD "distfiles"
archive was exchanged, and and why?

If I am not completely mistaken about how licenses work any old archive of the software
one might find which contains the license document I cited instead of the one in the
current archive is covered by that older license and by that one alone.
You cannot change the license of something you published after the fact, can you?

Kind regards,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen

Kaiserallee 13a
76133 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info at punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Egeling, Daniel Lienert, Fabian Stein