Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Sun Jan 31 10:49:32 UTC 2021

Am 30.01.21 um 23:02 schrieb Xavier Humbert:
> Hi,
>
> I was running 13-CURRENT, and as of 01/22 I switched to 13-STABLE
>
> Now, when I run any ports/pkg command - I use only ports-, I got
>
>> pkg-static: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running "pkg
>> bootstrap -f" recommended
> No a big deal, I thought, but :
>
>> [root at numenor ~]# pkg bootstrap -f
>> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
>> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
>> Bootstrapping pkg from
>> pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest, please wait...
>> Verifying signature with trusted certificate
>> pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
>> pkg-static: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running "pkg
>> bootstrap -f" recommended
>> Installing pkg-1.16.2...
>> pkg-static: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:13:amd64 instead of
>> *FreeBSD:14:amd64*
>> package pkg is already installed, forced install
>> Extracting pkg-1.16.2: 100%
>> [root at numenor ~]# pkg check -Bd
>> pkg: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running "pkg
>> bootstrap -f" recommended
>
> The message is still there. I never had 14-CURRENT on this system.
>
> Reinstalled ports-mgmt/pkg from source, didn't help

I had the exactly same error message.

It turns out, that in my /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf instead of '${ABI}' there
was a hardcoded '13' in the url entry. Probably I did a bad job last
time I 'repaired' that file after upgrading from 12.0-CURRENT to
13.0-CURRENT manually ;)

This is how it works for me:

#cat /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
FreeBSD: {