License question - New port databases/libmswstr

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Sun Jan 10 17:09:36 UTC 2021

I intend to update my databases/mdbtools port and add a new
databases/libmswstr [1] port as a dependency. This new port should allow
mdbtools to use indexes of databases in JET4 format.

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D27955

The author of libmswstr [2] did not include a license [3] with his
Github project.

[2] https://github.com/leecher1337/libmswstr
[3] https://github.com/leecher1337/libmswstr/blob/master/COPYING

It is not clear to me whether the reverse-engineered data and structures
of libmswstr violate license terms and should therefore not be included
as a port in FreeBSD.

Personally, I think that this form of reverse engineering also happens
in many other projects and therefore no legal problems are to be expected.

Are there any ideas or statements on this in the community?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rainer Hurling