Question creating ruby based port

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Sun Feb 21 01:39:25 UTC 2021

Hello,
I am working on creating a new port for aws-codedeploy-agent
(https://github.com/aws/aws-codedeploy-agent).  I am able to get it
build and run successfully on my end manually, I have also verified that
deployments triggered via AWS codedeploy work with this agent on EC2
instances running FreeBSD-12.

I am having problems wrapping my head around how to get the ports system
to execute the following commands listed in the codedeploy-agent build
instructions:
- bundle install
- rake clean && rake

I have a pretty basic Makefile so far which fails like so:
$ port test
===> Using ports tree /usr/ports
===> Validating port with portlint
looks fine.
<snip>
===>  Building for aws-codedeploy-agent-v1.2.1
make[1]: cannot open Makefile.

make[1]: stopped in
/usr/home/ec2-user/ports/aws-codedeploy-agent/work/aws-codedeploy-agent-1.2.1
===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.

For reference here's my wip Makefile:
# $FreeBSD$

PORTNAME=    aws-codedeploy-agent
PORTVERSION=    v1.2.1
CATEGORIES=    sysutils

MAINTAINER=    pete at nomadlogic.org
COMMENT=    Agent which allows an EC2 instance to be used with AWS
CodeDeploy

LICENSE=    APACHE20
LICENSE_FILE=    ${WRKSRC}/LICENSE

BUILD_DEPENDS= rubygem-bundler>=1.17.3:sysutils/rubygem-bundler \
         rubygem-rake:devel/rubygem-rake

USE_GITHUB=    yes
GH_ACCOUNT=    aws
GH_PROJECT=    aws-codedeploy-agent
GH_TAGNAME=    v1.2.1

USE_RUBY=    yes

NO_ARCH=    yes

.include <bsd.port.mk>

It seems to me I'm missing a parameter to tell the ports system to first
install dependencies via "bundler" then build the software using
"rake".  Any insights or other ports I could look at would be really
appreciated!

Thanks,
-pete

--