bogus warning from pkg

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 04:44:52 UTC 2021

On 2021-Feb-15, at 20:18, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu wrote on
> Tue Feb 16 02:14:06 UTC 2021 :
>
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 05:10:54PM -0800, Mark Millard via freebsd-ports wrote:
>>> Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu wrote on
>>> Mon Feb 15 20:39:19 UTC 2021 :

>>> It does not sound like Step 6 was "rebuild ports and install"
>>> but just pkg install use, at least for pkg itself.
>>
>> Ports are rebuilt on the system as the pre-built ports
>> have options selected that do not match the requirements
>> of the system.  It takes a week or more to rebuild
>> everything, which why I'm concerned with the bogus
>> warning and whether 'pkg bootstrap -f' would rebuild
>> everything.
>>
>> I also do
>>
>> % cd /usr/ports
>> % svn update
>> % make fetchindex
>> % pkg audit -qF
>>
>> before I build any port.  That third step pulls down
>> the INDEX-14, which again leads to confusion when pkg
>> issues a warning about 13.
>
> If you still have the context to do the comparison:
>
> How does the output of "pkg info pkg" compare to:
>
> . . .
> Architecture   : FreeBSD:13:amd64

I should have listed i386 from what I understand.

> . . .
> Annotations    :
> 	FreeBSD_version: 13?????
> . . .
>
> Does it have "14"s instead of "13"s?

Do you use:

https://www.freshports.org/ports-mgmt/port-maintenance-tools/

? I ask because:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2021-February/120156.html

reported having to reinstall it to get rid of having
"Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected" notices.

Since it is a meta-port, the thing that was fixed might
have been fixed via one or more of (from freshports):

Runtime dependencies:
	• portupgrade : ports-mgmt/portupgrade
	• svn : devel/subversion
	• pkg_cutleaves : ports-mgmt/pkg_cutleaves
	• pkg_tree : ports-mgmt/pkg_tree
	• portdowngrade : ports-mgmt/portdowngrade

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went