bogus warning from pkg

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Tue Feb 16 02:14:06 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 05:10:54PM -0800, Mark Millard via freebsd-ports wrote:
> Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu wrote on
> Mon Feb 15 20:39:19 UTC 2021 :
>
> > Step 1).  Install FreeBSD 13.0 on empty disk.
> > Step 2).  Install git from ports and grab FreeBSD 14.0 src.
> > Step 3).  Buildworld/kernel for FreeBSD 14.0
> > Step 4).  Install FreeBSD 14.0 and reboot.
> > Step 5).  Delete all ports.
> > Step 6).  Re-install pkg, portmaster, and 589 other ports.
>
> It does not sound like Step 6 was "rebuild ports and install"
> but just pkg install use, at least for pkg itself.

Ports are rebuilt on the system as the pre-built ports
have options selected that do not match the requirements
of the system.  It takes a week or more to rebuild
everything, which why I'm concerned with the bogus
warning and whether 'pkg bootstrap -f' would rebuild
everything.

I also do

% cd /usr/ports
% svn update
% make fetchindex
% pkg audit -qF

before I build any port.  That third step pulls down
the INDEX-14, which again leads to confusion when pkg
issues a warning about 13.

--
Steve