bogus warning from pkg

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Mon Feb 15 20:39:19 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 12:01:47PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 11:10 AM Steve Kargl <
> sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > I have a system installed from late January FreeBSD-current
> > sources and at that point an up-to-date ports tree.  All
> > installed ports where builtin after I installed FreeBSD. So,
> > I am running FreeBSD-14.0.  For some reason, I am getting
> > bogus warnings from pkg.
> >
> > % pkg info > /dev/null
> > pkg: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running \
> > "pkg bootstrap -f" recommended
> >
> > Short of running the bootstrap command, how do I get
> > rid of these messages, which are clearly bogus.
> >
> > --
> > Steve
> >
> Are you sure that you reinstalled pkg since the move to 14? That message
> means that pkg was built on a prior version of FreeBSD. As you build ports
> and don't do packages, just build and install pkg and that should do the
> trick.

Step 1).  Install FreeBSD 13.0 on empty disk.
Step 2).  Install git from ports and grab FreeBSD 14.0 src.
Step 3).  Buildworld/kernel for FreeBSD 14.0
Step 4).  Install FreeBSD 14.0 and reboot.
Step 5).  Delete all ports.
Step 6).  Re-install pkg, portmaster, and 589 other ports.

BTW, there is no documentation as what 'pkg bootstrap -f'
does.  In particular, the -f option is no described.

--
Steve