Creating port from pre-built package

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 12 16:34:54 UTC 2021

On 11/02/2021 16:26, Shawn Webb wrote:
> Being a ports newb, I'm not sure how to properly create a port from a
> pre-built package. Does anyone have any non-xkcd pointers[1]?

A port is simply a set of instructions to build a pkg.  So you're
looking for a set of instructions to build a pkg from a pkg you already
have.  That's a very short list of instructions...

Possibly a more instructive question is "how do I add a pre-compiled
package to my existing pkg repo?"

That's functionality that poudriere is currently in the process of
acquiring, but in principle it's just a matter of copying the pkg into
the data area of your repo, and then using `pkg repo` to rebuild the
repo index.

	Cheers,

	Matthew