Question on figuring out category for new port

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 8 02:05:40 UTC 2021

On 7/02/2021 1:58 pm, Adam Jimerson wrote:
> Hello so I was wanting to make a new port for python-adblock
> (https://github.com/ArniDagur/python-adblock) so it can be added as a
> dependency of www/qutebrowser but I'm not quite sure what is the correct
> category for such a port. I can easily see it falling under net, net-mgmt, or
> www although I'm thinking since it is browser related it would fall under www.
>
> I wanted to run this by the list to see which would be the better option.
> Would www be the best option here?

www/py-adblock [1] as its primary use will be in and for browsers (in
this case qutebrowser (also in www)

Previous adblock related ports have also been in www/:

   https://www.freshports.org/www/adblock/
   https://www.freshports.org/www/xpi-adblock_plus
   https://www.freshports.org/www/xpi-uBlock_origin/
   https://www.freshports.org/www/ziproxy/

One may consider adding 'net' as a secondary if it can be used outside
the browser (www) context (say like a pihole thingy)

[1] noting the "canonical" and registered PyPI name from this project is
'adblock' not 'python-adblock' (the repo name)