How to make 'named' rc script invokded earlier at boot time

Yasuhiro Kimura yasu at utahime.org
Fri Apr 30 09:17:08 UTC 2021

From: Yasuhiro Kimura <yasu at utahime.org>
Subject: Re: How to make 'named' rc script invokded earlier at boot time
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 17:18:26 +0900 (JST)

>> The only way I can see is modify the named rc script and add the
>> services that needs named to be started on the BEFORE line at the
>> beginning of the script. Mind you, it really needs to start after
>> syslog (unless you log directly to files and do not use syslog.)
>
> Thanks for advice. I'll try it.

I tried it but am confused by the result.

I modified /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named on my home server as following.

root at eastasia[1051]# head /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named
#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: named
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING ldconfig syslogd
# BEFORE: SERVERS ntpdate
# KEYWORD: shutdown

#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf to enable BIND:
# named_enable (bool):              Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
root at eastasia[1052]#

And I executed `rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*`. Then I got
just same result as before the modification.

So I modifed /etc/rc.d/ntpdate as following.

root at eastasia[1053]# head /etc/rc.d/ntpdate                                                                          ~
#!/bin/sh
#
# $FreeBSD$
#

# PROVIDE: ntpdate
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING syslogd named
# KEYWORD: nojail

. /etc/rc.subr
root at eastasia[1054]#

But the result still didn't changed.

As I wrote another mail my result of `rcorder -p` is different from
that of Helge Oldach. These oddities may be related.

I'll investigate further but it may take for a while.

---
Yasuhiro Kimura