When will git be supported for ports?

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 07:14:10 UTC 2021

On 2021-Apr-28, at 22:26, Kurt Jaeger <pi at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>>> https://bsdimp.blogspot.com/2020/09/freebsd-subversion-to-git-migration.html
>>
>> The https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/ material
>> for git-why.md is still available via:
>>
>> https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/commits/483527525db5cd7cf27141a2ca21059d9a3b158e/git-why.md
>>
>> It had commits on 2020-Oct-20, 2020-Dec-02, and 2020-Dec-03. So
>> it was updated a little from the 2020-Sep blog variant. The
>> changes may not be important. I've not gone through them.
>
> Thanks -- how did you find the commit hash / link and the dates ?

In a web browser I did the sequence:

Go to: https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/
Click on "186 commits"
Click on the "<>" to the right of "72f477a"
(that skips past the 3ebc4f7 commit titled "git-why is obsolete")

Click on "git-why.md"

Note: at this point the most recent git-why.md document
version should be displayed.

Click on "History"

Note: at this point the history of the commits to the
document should be displayed, dates shown.

The hashes/links that I supplied were there to copy in
the web browser during this sequence, so that I what I
did to supply them.

> It's the old saying: Give a man a fish, so he will not be hungry
> for a day, teach him to fish and he will be fed for a livetime 8-}

I hope that the above proves of future use. But a
lifetime of complete meals? I doubt it . . .

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went