When will git be supported for ports?

Kurt Jaeger pi at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 28 18:15:20 UTC 2021

Hi!

> Maintainer for some ~160 ports, and attempting to fix some
> bugs. But as I understand it 'git' is supposed to be the new
> source of truth. While I know svn by heart. I have near zero
> understanding of git, or for that matter, why anyone would
> rather use it.

The 'why' was explained here:

https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/

But, unfortunatly, that text moved somewhere. It's a good
first test to find out how to recover that text from the git repo 8}
Any hints ?

> That said; as I try to discover the new
> procedures for maintaining ports under git. I see there isn't
> anything in the porters-handbook regarding the acquisition
> of the ports tree in order to get started.
> Shouldn't this be at the very beginning of the ports doc?

This below should work, and I agree with you: It was hard to find out.

mkdir -p somedir/ports
cd somedir
git clone -o freebsd \
	--config remote.freebsd.fetch='+refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*' \
	https://git.freebsd.org/ports.git ports

I'm also trying to learn more git to be able to work on the
ports tree, but my time is limited and somehow, I still do
not see the forest for the trees 8-(

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                    Now what ?