freebsd-ports Digest, Vol 933, Issue 7

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Sat Apr 24 22:40:02 UTC 2021

On 18-4-2021 16:51, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
>>> There is the implicit assumption that a patch that updates
>>> boost for all the dependent ports should also provide fixes
>>> if those ports fail to build after the update. That is
>>> the major task.
>> There are "only" 490 ports that have boost in their Makefile.
> Compare this to CMake, which has about 1900 direct consumers. While there's
> less ABI-breakage and more configure- and build-time breakage, a CMake update
> looks like this:
> - build all the consumers with the current version of CMake
> - fix the ones that don't build, or mark BROKEN
> - bump CMake locally
> - build everything again
> - fix the ones that don't build
>
> The actual CMake parts are the easy bits. Dealing with 15-year old C++ code
> that happens to use CMake and falls over for totally unrelated reasons is the
> real time sink. Ceph, too, is one of those things that eventually gets added
> to my ignore list as "doesn't build in any recent ports checkout":
>
> /usr/local/bin/ld: ../../../lib/libkv.a(LevelDBStore.cc.o):
> (.data.rel.ro._ZTI17CephLevelDBLogger[_ZTI17CephLevelDBLogger]+0x10):
> undefined reference to `typeinfo for leveldb::Logger'
>
> I fix what I can, send mail to maintainers when I can't and so we hope that
> progress happens
Hi Adriaan,

I understand your pain.

I'm in the squeeze that Ceph has moved to new version, which I do get to
build/test
in my jenkins builders. But I'm/was sort of waiting for the move to git
with ports.
And then figure out how to get things to work again with the latest
release.
Unfortunately I got little time at the moment, so progress there is slow.

And you are right that it hard to find the cause for this, since so many
things
have changed: Ceph source, Cmake config, llvm compiler and linker and
leveldb.
So the permutations are plenty.

If you want to fix the above (which I also got in my builders, and have
not found the
root cause for) you could add `-D WITH_LEVELDB=OFF` to the CMAKE options.
Hopefully I get around to submitting a patch to get ceph14 to v14.2.20
real soon now.

--WjW