No update for a day on ports?

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 01:59:35 UTC 2021

On 2021-Apr-2, at 18:20, The Doctor <doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 05:54:48PM -0700, Mark Millard via freebsd-ports wrote:
>>

>> On 2021-Apr-2, at 17:41, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The Doctor doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote on
>>> Sat Apr 3 00:27:42 UTC 2021 :
>>>
>>> Results:

>>> When I look at:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/
>>>
>>> and look at the popup for selecting a branch
>>> I see a "main" but do not see a "master".
>>>
>>> By contrast when I look at:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-legacy/
>>>
>>> and look at the popup for selecting a branch
>>> I see a "master" but do not see a "main".
>>>
>>> It looks like the your gitup is configured for
>>> before the conversion, when only the combination:
>>
>> One aspect of the above sentence is poor: which
>> "conversion"? It might not be the current
>> svn to git one one. For all I know
>> /freebsd/freebsd-ports-legacy/ could have existed
>> under that naming for a while and
>> /freebsd/freebsd-ports/ could have been tracking
>> svn over the same time frame.
>>
>>> /freebsd/freebsd-ports.git
>>> refs/heads/master
>>>
>>> existed. Since then the old /freebsd/freebsd-ports.git
>>> was effectively renamed to /freebsd/freebsd-ports-legacy/
>>> and a new /freebsd/freebsd-ports/ was created that used
>>> "main" instead of "master".
>>

> So what patch is needed to fix the ports issue?

I only recognized the "master" (github/older) vs. "main"
(modern) terminology issue, which was enough to prompt me
to look and see what things looked like and report on
what I found.

I've not done my ports conversion experiments yet and I
will be using git, not gitup. I've never used gitup. So
I do not know the operational details for fixing what
gitup references. (I use git for FreeBSD src.)

I can say that you would want to use
/freebsd/freebsd-ports.git and whatever notation is
appropriate for "main" in order to track ongoing
updates. (Presumes that you stick with github instead
of the FreeBSD servers.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com