Deprecation of portsnap (was: Proposed ports git transition schedule)

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Thu Apr 1 18:15:00 UTC 2021

On 01 Apr 2021, at 04:19, Felix Palmen <felix at palmen-it.de> wrote:
> * Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt at burggraben.net> [20210326 19:45]:
>> ## Felix Palmen (felix at palmen-it.de):
>>> I'd assume (someone may correct me) that portsnap will still be
>>> supported,

>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-August/119098.html

> Is this finally decided, and is there a timeline?

That post I read as the official decision that port snap was going to die. But  WITHOUT_PORTSANP added to the default base would be the single, I'd think. Most of the ground work has already been done.

> portsnap is still built by default on releng/13.0.

We'll see if it makes it to RELEASE or not.

gitup is working well right now, but it looks more fiddly and I wish the 'fake JSON' configuration file was actual valid JSON, OTOH, it seems o run a lot faster than portsnap.

--
I WILL NOT TRADE PANTS WITH OTHERS Bart chalkboard Ep. 7F05