No update for a day on ports?

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne at heuristicsystems.com.au
Thu Apr 1 08:49:06 UTC 2021

On 1/04/2021 6:19 pm, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/git

Thanks Milan for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Would appreciate if anyone can provide insight as to the 4 git commands
that I need to function, in a manner similar to the way I use svnlite
use.  Git equivalents for:

svnlite update /usr/ports
svnlite update -r '{$YYYY-$MM-$DD}' /usr/ports/$category/$port
svnlite log -l $N /usr/ports/$category/$port
svnlite diff /usr/ports/$category/$port

I'm sure many other users would have a similar usage (and similar
non-knowledge of git)

Is this
git clone -o freebsd --config
remote.freebsd.fetch='+refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*'
https://git.freebsd.org/${repo}.git
really the equivalent of
svnlite update /usr/ports
I have a few changes to the infrastructure that I don't want to loose by
overwriting those changes.

As a minor aside, has anyone stated the reason why the user-base of base
or ports are moving to git?  (And its greatly appreciated that 12-stable
will continue to feed svn as it provides an opportunity for users to
migrate to, what for many, is new)

Kind regards, Dewayne.
PS We use ports to build, no remote packages (since FreeBSD 4).