No update for a day on ports?

Mathieu Arnold mat at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 1 08:01:07 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 09:54:16AM +0200, Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 09:47:04 +0200, Mathieu Arnold <mat at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 09:16:15AM +0200, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > > Also, what about svn mirror, as is done for src repository, for 11
> > > and 12 branches at least? I did not tried it recently, but it used
> > > to work. For some boxes, adding git to the mix would be big PITA.
> >
> > There will be no Git to Subversion conversion for ports, like for
> > docs. The only reason there is for the base system on 11 and 12 is
> > because Subversion was the source control software used when they
> > were released.
> >

> This is unpleasant move for me. This means git or equivalent (and
> dependencies) must be installed on any box where tracking ports tree is
> planned/needed... and no tool like svnlite could be expected in base
> system for some time.
>
> So I need some work on my local infrastructure to adjust to this move.
> C'est la vie...

If you actually need a repository, and not just the latest files, all
you need is run pkg install git on the machines you are actually using a
ports tree on, if you have more than one machine, you should probably be
using binary packages anyway, either the ones provided by FreeBSD, or
ones built yourself using ports-mgmt/poudriere.  If you only need the
latest files, you can probably use something like net/gitup.

--
Mathieu Arnold