Patch compiler warnings away?

Moritz Schmitt moritz at schmi.tt
Thu Oct 1 21:12:00 UTC 2020

Hi,

I recently took over my first maintainership of a port and I have a
question regarding on how to deal with compiler warnings.

The port is devel/cscope and it seems to be in a rather good shape. It
contains the newest version of cscope and it builds without any major
problems. However, when building it the compiler issues three warnings
that I could easily patch away.

What's the recommended approach? Just ignore the warnings and don't
modify the software since it builds anyway? Or create patches even
though they don't seem to be strictly necessary?

In any case, I will send the patches to the project in the hope that
they fix it upstream in the long run.

Best,
Moritz