STOP rust!

Chris portmaster at bsdforge.com
Fri Nov 13 01:02:03 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-12 15:47, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 2:58 PM Dewayne Geraghty
> <dewayne at heuristicsystems.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/11/2020 12:24 am, Rozhuk Ivan wrote:
>> > Hi all!
>> >
>> > With latest ports tree librsvg2-rust-2.50.0 is required to some ports.
>> > It want replace librsvg2-2.40.21.
>> >
>> > I do not want build ugly rust during hours to build small lib in less than minute.
>
> Rust is an absolute beast, there's no doubt about it. Rust itself
> builds painfully slowly, and then it builds other things painfully
> slowly as well. I go through contortions to avoid needing Rust;
> building node is frustrating enough. I'm 100% with you that building
> Rust is like beating your CPU with a hammer.
>
> Unfortunately for those of us with limited build resources, Rust is
> the New Hotness for a reason. Upstreams are switching to it every day,
> and more and more libraries and binaries will rely on it. We are going
> to have to rip off that band-aid sometime, and the right time to do it
> is when upstreams switch to it. When something I need requires Rust,
> I'll have to make my peace with it. I strongly urge against the
> kludges offered in this thread; much as it sucks to build, I urge you
> to make your peace with Rust as a dependency. It will not be the last.
> There are many great programs that I eschew because they're written in
> Rust; once I make my peace with it, I'll get to use a lot of things
> I've been avoiding.
>
> librsvg has switched to Rust, and so the port has no choice but to
> switch to it. It's not that we prioritize FreeBSD-provided pkgs over
> end-user poudriere, it's simply our obligation to build the current
> stable release with the tools they require. Linux-oriented upstreams
> (like GNOME) generally expect end-users to install from
> distro-provided packages, so they approach the choice of
> C/C++/Haskell/Go/Rust as a transparent change. BSDs still celebrate
> end-user builds, and the tools to do so are increasingly massive,
> disparate, and complex.
>
> It would be really nice if poudriere could keep a list of pkgs that
> should be fetched rather than built locally, but that alone is a
> nightmare for the solver, I suspect.
>
> The tl;dr here is that I 100% agree that Rust absolutely sucks to
> build, and I avoid needing to build Rust, but the ports tree will
> always use whatever tools the current stable version requires. librsvg
> is now built with Rust, and so we now build librsvg with Rust.
>
> # Adam
Ahem,
Using a 500 ton brake press to bend paper clips is just stupid. While Adam
makes some good points. I'd like to add that Rust is popular for a reason,
and
can be considered UNpopular for good reason. IOW please inform your vendor
that using a 500 ton brake press to bend paper clips is stupid, and
unreasonable.
It's a hard point to argue when confronted with the fact that using a
multi-gig
builder to build a several-k library/program is just impractical, and
unreasonable.

Thanks for listening. :-)

--Chris