STOP rust!

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne at heuristicsystems.com.au
Thu Nov 12 21:58:17 UTC 2020

On 11/11/2020 12:24 am, Rozhuk Ivan wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> With latest ports tree librsvg2-rust-2.50.0 is required to some ports.
> It want replace librsvg2-2.40.21.
>
> I do not want build ugly rust during hours to build small lib in less than minute.
>

> Same with polkit & spidermonkey.
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/polkit/polkit/-/merge_requests/35
>
> I remove polkit where it is possible.

Good question Rozhuk, I've had a similar "problem" elsewhere.  The
workaround is to force your applications to break from the normal
maintenance/updating process.  There are two methods:

1. Lets say the upstream port that now wants to use librsvg2-rust-2.50.0 is
/usr/ports/risky/business

You'll need to modify
/usr/ports/risky/business/Makefile
to depend on librsvg2 and not librsvg2-rust

OR
2. You'll need to revert the port risky/business, everytime you perform
a /usr/ports update.

(Lookup svnlite help, or use something like
svnlite update /usr/ports
svnlite update -r '{2020-11-01}' /usr/ports/risky/business
the order is important)

Keep a record of which option you've chosen because you'll eventually
want to return to the normal way of doing things, because port
maintainers track the status of their ports - for security, feature and
bug updates and generously do the work for you.  (svnlite diff
/usr/ports may be helpful, unless you accidentally accept differences ;) )

The more promising approach is, as Yuri suggests, take up the issue with
the librsvg2 team.  However I've observed that when a downstream project
team invest in migrating to new tools, they're unlikely to rescind that
decision.

You'll also need to track the interaction of up/downstream tools because
eventually something will require a new feature in librsvg2 2.50+

Tough call, but the flexibility of the ports system helps.