No subject

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com
Sat Nov 7 17:25:18 UTC 2020

In message <6E6B60B0-DE59-4F2B-B612-07F7B505AF58 at lastsummer.de>, Franco
Fichtne
r writes:
> Hi Cy,
>
> > On 7. Nov 2020, at 4:39 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com> wrote:
> >
> > Proposal to simplify syslog-ng support.
> >
> > I plan to deoribt all but the latest syslog-ng ports by the end of the
> > year, moving sysutils/syslog-ng329 to syslog-ng. This will reduce the
> > maintenance and administration requirement.
>
> >From the OPNsense side of things (syslog-ng integrated as core service)
> that sounds good.  No objections.
>
> Yet something related to this: how important is the shifting @version hint
> in real world use?

That's not needed. The proposal is to replace the syslog-ng port with the
contents of syslog-ng329 and deprecate the others. Those using
sysutils/syslog-ng will see no change. Those using older versions will need
to replace syslog-ngNN with simply syslog-ng.

I could be wrong but it's my impression that the Linux community has
embraced rsyslog over syslog-ng. We at $JOB have.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com>