What are the benefits of NO_ARCH?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 3 12:55:29 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 01:41:54PM +0100, Mateusz Piotrowski wrote:
> On 11/3/20 11:24 AM, Mateusz Piotrowski wrote:

> > > Yes that is the goal, in practice it is not yet the case, so it is purely
> > > informational, but that what we are aiming at yes.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> I've added a note to the porter's handbook based on the information you provided:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/doc?view=revision&revision=54671

I think you have been a little too fast.

The point of no arch is not only that. pkg checks if a package is a valid ABI
for the system it will install to. This is done via globing on the ABI variable.

When a package is set to NO_ARCH: you end up this is line: "FreeBSD:13:*"
meaning the package can actually be installed on any freebsd 13 system. so it is
already useful as of today. what Stefan describe is other things we might
benefit one day thanks to have the NO_ARCH packages already in the futur.

best regards,
Bapt