Out of memory building lang/ghc-8.8.3

Felix Palmen felix at palmen-it.de
Tue May 5 11:44:15 UTC 2020

* Kubilay Kocak <koobs at FreeBSD.org> [20200505 21:26]:
> On 5/05/2020 9:09 pm, andrew clarke wrote:
> > The -J option sounds like the way to go, provided I remember to use it
> > next time. Or I could instead set PARALLEL_JOBS=1 in poudriere.conf but then
> > build performance will suffer for every port, which isn't ideal.
> >
> > But perhaps there's an option to limit make jobs just for a single port, set in
> > /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf ? That would be nice.

Don't confuse poudriere's PARALLEL_JOBS with the number of jobs for
building a single port. Poudriere defaults to always use a single job
for a single port, you can override this with ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS=yes
globally, or with ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS_PACKAGES for individual ports.

PARALLEL_JOBS just tells how many ports are built in parallel.

> This doesn't help for non-OPTIONS variables, but we have this recently
> submitted feature/review:
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24324
>
> For use like:
>
> devel_llvm80_VARS=DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS=yes
> devel_llvm90_VARS=DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS=yes
>
> This would satisfy this and other per-port specific build options cases.

As long as this isn't available yet, there's always the old trick
checking .CURDIR like for this example:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/devel/llvm*}
DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS=yes
.endif

This works because make.conf is just included. But see above why this
shouldn't be needed to control the make jobs when using poudriere.

--
 Dipl.-Inform. Felix Palmen  <felix at palmen-it.de>   ,.//..........
 {web}  http://palmen-it.de  {jabber} [see email]   ,//palmen-it.de