WITH_META_MODE and poudriere: *.meta files, where?

Michael Grimm trashcan at ellael.org
Tue Jun 23 17:34:13 UTC 2020

matthew at freebsd.org <matthew at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On 23/06/2020 12:08, Michael Grimm wrote:

>> Hmm, but that information doesn't help me regarding my question above:
>> Where does poudriere store .meta files during compilations?
>> META_MODE doesn't make sense, IMHO, if this information isn't stored somewhere before being reused in subsequent compilations of a given port. Or am I mistaken?
>
> META_MODE is a feature of building FreeBSD itself, not for building ports.  So, unless you're using the rather bleeding edge poudriere(1) work to be able to build base system packages, poudriere is simply not going to be dealing with .meta files.

Thanks, that's what I have "feared": I misunderstood the scope of bdrewery's commit regarding /etc/src-env.conf

> What you can do for poudriere is enable CCACHE -- as described in the referenced article.  This makes quite a bit of difference to recompiling some of the bigger ports like LLVM, but will have very little effect on the majority of ports that only take a matter of a few seconds to compile.  Even so, it's well worth doing overall.

My first reaction after anticipating increase in compilation times has been: activating CCACHE ;-)
And thanks again, you clarified yet another "fear" of mine, namely, that it will only speed-up larger ports.

Thanks to all,
Michael