Jumbled dependencies

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Mon Jun 15 18:59:52 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-14 09:10, George Mitchell wrote:
> I do package builds on one machine on my (small) network, using
> portmaster, and then distributes the built packages to my other
> machines.  Last week, I decided to make python38, rather than
> python37, my default version on Python 3.  Specifically,
>
> portmaster -o lang/python38 python37
>
> I think I missed a step here to upgrade all my py37-* packages to
> py38-* packages.  However, I did recompile a whole list of packages
> (specific example: vim) so that on my build machine it lists
> python38-3.8.3 as a dependency.  I build a new repo on the build
> machine and then did a "pkg upgrade" on the other machines.  This
> did install the new version of vim on the client machines, but
> "pkg info -d vim" on a client still says it depends on
> python37-3.7.7.  (And there are a pile of other packages that are
> spuriously listed as still depending on python37.)
>
> Any suggestions as to why "pkg upgrade" did not copy correct
> dependency information from the build machine to the clients?  And
> how do I bandage up the foot I shot myself in?        -- George

So I elected to fix it with a sledge hammer.  On my client machines,
I did a "pkg delete python37" while making a note of the packages
that were to be deleted.  Then I reinstalled those (changing the
"py37-" to "py38-" where needed).  Everything is fine now, except
that I have a pile of "duplicate dependency listing" messages,
which seem to be harmless.                            -- George