Jumbled dependencies

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Sun Jun 14 13:10:10 UTC 2020

I do package builds on one machine on my (small) network, using
portmaster, and then distributes the built packages to my other
machines.  Last week, I decided to make python38, rather than
python37, my default version on Python 3.  Specifically,

portmaster -o lang/python38 python37

I think I missed a step here to upgrade all my py37-* packages to
py38-* packages.  However, I did recompile a whole list of packages
(specific example: vim) so that on my build machine it lists
python38-3.8.3 as a dependency.  I build a new repo on the build
machine and then did a "pkg upgrade" on the other machines.  This
did install the new version of vim on the client machines, but
"pkg info -d vim" on a client still says it depends on
python37-3.7.7.  (And there are a pile of other packages that are
spuriously listed as still depending on python37.)

Any suggestions as to why "pkg upgrade" did not copy correct
dependency information from the build machine to the clients?  And
how do I bandage up the foot I shot myself in?        -- George