Why lang/gcc9 depends native-binutils ?

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Thu Jul 23 09:04:57 UTC 2020

> The GNU Binutils are a collection of binary tools. The main ones are:

> * ld - the GNU linker.
> * as - the GNU assembler.

> Most of these programs use BFD, the Binary File Descriptor library, to do
> low-level manipulation. Many of them also use the opcodes library to assemble
> and disassemble machine instructions.

> This port may be used as a replacement for the system binutils and support
> features from the latest versions of GCC.

> For cross-compilation, see the devel/cross-binutils port.

> WWW: https://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

> Mark Millard

This prompted me to run "svn up" on FreeBSD ports tree.

But I found no devel/cross-binutils, you had my hopes up.

There is a cross/cross-binutils in (NetBSD) pkgsrc.

DESCR shows

The cross-binutils pkg is used only by the other `cross' pkgs.  The
binutils provides various binary manipulation utilities as well as the GNU
linker.  (The assembler is bundled with each individual cross pkg.)

Tom