amdgpu on Ryzen 4700 w. Vega10 Renoir Graphics

Niclas Zeising zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
Thu Jul 16 14:58:23 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-16 16:48, Michael Schuster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know I'm top-posting (this note) AND cross-posting - please bear(sp?)
> with me, I think I'm somewhat justified:
>

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 9:46 PM Niclas Zeising
> <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>> wrote:
>

>      >         On 2020-07-15 14:25, Michael Schuster wrote:
>      >          > Hi all,
>      >          >
>      >          > I got a new HP laptop (455 G7) and put latest GhostBSD
>      >         (20.04, based on
>      >          > 12.1 release) on it. During installation, the only
>     graphics
>      >         selection that
>      >          > didn't fail was 'scfb', which I'm still using.
>      >          >
>      >          > AFAICT from my research, Renoir is supported by latest drm
>      >         driver/module,
>      >          > so I installed that (
>      >          >
>      > https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/tree/drm-v5.0-fbsd12.1).
>      >
>      >         That branch isn't used, and may be broken.
>      >         If you want to get anything more recent than
>     drm-fbds12.0-kmod,
>      >         which
>      >         tracks Linux 4.16, you have to upgrade to current and use
>      >         drm-devel-kmod
>      >         (which currently is at 5.3).
>      >
>      >
>      >     just to be clear: by "current", you mean FreeBSD
>     13.0-current, right?
>      >     thx
>      >
>      >
>      > so I went ahead and installed FreeBSD-current on this machine,
>     and then
>      > drm-devel-kmodas you recommended. Alas, I'm getting an error:
>      >
>      > KLD amdgpu.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
>      >
>      > some googling showed that - since I did a fresh install of
>     -current just
>      > now - amdgpu must be out of sync. the version I have installed is:
>      >
>      > xf86_video-amdgpu-19.1.0_1.
>
>     This means that your kernel and the drm-devel-kmod package are out of
>     sync.  drm-devel-kmod installs the kernel graphics drivers, such as
>     amdgpu.ko, and it has to be in sync with your kernel.  Depending a bit
>     on which svn revision of current you have, you should be able to build
>     drm-devel-kmod (and preferably gpu-firmware-kmod) from ports.
>

> @Niclas,
> I followed your instructions; when I try to build gpu-firmware-kmod,
> here's what I get:
>
> ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod:16:33:50 $ pwd
> /usr/ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod
> ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod:16:33:51 $ make
> make: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk <http://bsd.port.mk>" line 2096:
> [...]

The error above was fixed in FreeBSD r363035, by reverting r363031 as
you've already found out.  In order to fix it locally you need to update
your FreeBSD system.  Updating FreeBSD Current is generally accomplished
by rebuilding and installing it from source.  Instructions on that can
be found here:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Regards
--