Fetching FreeBSD packages in poudriere bulk builds?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Thu Jul 16 07:10:46 UTC 2020

Hi all,

like many we run our own poudriere to build the packages for our infrastructure.
Fetching packages from the standard FreeBSD repos for ports with default options
is a long requested feature. Of course I understand it will not be implemented by elves
and neither do we have the knowledge and manpower to help in this particular area.

What I am interested in: there are a handful to a dozen ports that take exceptionally
long to build. GCC, LLVM, rustlang …

Notably these are all „infrastructure“ ports that are built as dependencies and we do
not change the options of any of them. Did anyone implement a lean hack for a
few selected packages to be fetched as binaries?

E.g. check if they are newer in the FreeBSD quarterly repo, put them in our own repo,
rebuild the repo index and then start poudriere bulk …?

Would that work?

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen

Kaiserallee 13a
76133 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info at punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Egeling, Daniel Lienert, Fabian Stein