Gracefully killing and restarting a port build....

Chris portmaster at BSDforge.com
Wed Jul 8 19:13:54 UTC 2020

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 20:47:03 -0700 bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net said

> While compiling www/chromium on a Pi3B it has become clear that the
> default -j4 isn't going to work (yes, I know, ya told me).
>
> On the plus side, it hasn't crashed, despite several days of
> continuous swapping  with 1-2GB of swap in use. Kudos to the
> VM folks.
>
> Now I'd like to (gracefully) stop the make and restart it with more
> sane -j values. -2 seems like a reasonable start.
>
> A simple
> kill <PID> aimed at the original make doesn't seem to do anything. Even
> kill -9 <PID> appears to have no effect on the c++ threads, which are
> still running minutes afterwards.
>
> Now it seems rather like I'm stuck: The original <PID> is gone, but
> c++ is still grinding away as if nothing has changed..
>
> Is there a better way to accomplish a clean(ish) stop and restart of
> a multi-threaded make process?
>
> Thanks for reading, apologies if it's a dumb question,
Not at all. :-)
I usually leverage multiple terminals, and simply dedicate one to
the/a build session. So simply issuing a ^C to that terminal sends
an INTR to the parent, and children. I've experienced no problems
restarting the process (build) after doing so.

HTH! :-)

--Chris