Porting Practice

Chris portmaster at BSDforge.com
Tue Jul 7 19:18:10 UTC 2020

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 00:46:39 +0000 Brandon helsley brandon.helsley at hotmail.com said

> I have gotten a couple of emails from portscout about ports that need updated
> and maintained. Before I go about updating and maintaining these ports I
> wanted to do some practice on a couple that I use like x11/nvidia-settings. I
> have recieved alot of help on the forums and from the documentation, but i'm
> still at a loss as to how the diff process works. Also, i've gotten stuck at
> a few spots along the way. I use svn to checkout a copy of the
> nvidia-settings port which has no maintainer. The copy goes into my root
> directory either in a work directory or not. After I make the changes to the
> files and issue the command...
>
> MAKE CONFIG:root at machine17:/usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings # make config
> ===> No options to configure
>
> make patch and make configure both work.
>
> PORTLINT:root at machine17:/usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings # portlint
> WARN: Makefile: Consider adding support for a NLS knob to conditionally
> disable gettext support.
> 0 fatal errors and 1 warning found.
>
> So once I get past this point and have succesfully tested the port with
> portlint and poudriere testport, I'm confused as to how I am supposed to
> build the package, and create a suitable diff to patch the port either with
> svn or diff -u.
FWIW this is my basic workflow

svn co --depth empty svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head DEV
svn up --set-depth empty DEV/x11
svn up DEV/x11/nvidia-settings

edit edit edit

make -DBATCH check-plist
make stage-qa
make check-sanity
portlint

all systems are a go

cd DEV/x11

svn diff --ignore-properties > x11_nvidia-settings.diff

open Bugzilla, and attach this svn(1) diff(1)

If nothing else, this will (hopefully) give you a scope of
the overall process tweaking/fixing/adopting a port :-)

HTH!

--Chris