replacement for lang/phantomjs / minimalistic chrome headless build

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Thu Jan 30 12:45:05 UTC 2020

Miroslav Lachman wrote on 2019/05/22 14:29:
> Steven Hartland wrote on 2019/05/22 13:56:
>> Pretty sure chrome has a headless mode now, perhaps you could use that.
>
> The last time I tried chrome headless it was so big beast (for headless
> servers) that I abandoned it. Build time in my poudriere was about 33
> hours and so many dependencies I don't want to install in headless
> machines. So I hope there is still some chance to find something lighter
> than headless chrome.

I would like to continue this old thread. We are still using phantomjs
because there is no lightweight replacement. It does not build with
OpenSSL 1.1.1, it was removed from the ports tree... so it is time to
replace it with something as soon as possible.

The question is - Is it possible to build Chromium (or Firefox?) as
static with minimum run-time dependencies? Possibly without X11?

As we need it on headless server with chromedriver + selenium I really
would like to avoid installing tens of dependencies / libraries.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman

PS: out of curiosity there is ongoing activity on PhantomJS github in
recent months https://github.com/ariya/phantomjs