Portmaster failing

Kurt Jaeger pi at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 1 22:28:44 UTC 2020

Hi!

> If FreeBSD is going to REQUIRE poudriere, then go ahead and do
> so. If not, then the other packages managers and the ports tree
> itself have to work without screwing the admin, failing to build
> for inexplicable reasons, inputting a dependency that breaks other
> packages, or my favorite, failing to update dependencies.

If we'd remove portmaster, we'd loose a relevant part of our
user-base, that's why is has not been removed. This caused
other issues, as you are well aware.

But there's no easy solution given the amount of volunteer skills
and capacity available, see below.

> > I've mentioned this to you before, lbutlr, because you post about
> > encountering these snags quite regularly, and your (quite warranted)
> > frustration is apparent. I really do think that your FreeBSD life will
> > be simpler if you switch from portmaster to poudriere.
>
> It is not that simple, of course. This will take quite a lot of work, and a lot of time, for something that I deal with a handful of times a year. This means that for the foreseeable future, I would be starting over basically every time there is some issue.
>
> > They are simply an inevitable consequence of using a very old and broken tool
>
> If the tool is broken, remove it.

For example: FreeBSD uses mailman2 for lists.freebsd.org, which needs
python 2.7, which, as far as the python community is involved,
is no longer supported.

The open source community (and FreeBSD) really has problems with
the velocity of the software involved -- and can barely keep up.

So it's not that easy.

> > You are right that there wasn't a warning, and that was a major
> > mistake that should not have happened. security/openssl and
> > security/openssl111 should have contained messages about this switch.
>
> Since openssl updated about a week ago, this oversight falls into the class that I would call ???inexcusable???. If I did this on a job I would (rightly) be immediately fired.
>
> I would fire me if I did something like this.

If we fired every volunteer when some mishap has happened, we
would run of of volunteers very fast.

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                    Now what ?