Portmaster failing

Christoph Moench-Tegeder cmt at burggraben.net
Wed Jan 1 22:12:57 UTC 2020

## George Mitchell (george+freebsd at m5p.com):

> Assuming you can get poudriere to work.  Even by today's standards,
> a low-cost PC is not going to have the juice to support it.  And to
> reiterate, the ports framework itself MUST work standalone.

The pain you'll experience (eventually) from the breakage resulting
from just ol' plain "make install"s is much worse than running poudriere.
Most non-trivial software will not build predictably in an unclean
environment, and forget about keeping it working when your environment
changes (the time I've spent chasing shared library problems... that's
time I'll never get back). (Note that I'm not talking about reproducable
builds, which is yet another can of worms).
If you can't build with poudriere locally, you should look into renting
CPU time ("cloud" as they call it these days) or use packages.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space