FreeBSD Port: py37-fail2ban-0.11.1 issue

koczan at poczta.onet.pl koczan at poczta.onet.pl
Thu Feb 13 09:08:03 UTC 2020

Hi there 😊

I have found issue with fail2ban FreeBSD port and reported it to GitHub, but it was closed as external issue:
/var/run/fail2ban in not created during port start - FreeBSD #2634
/var/run/fail2ban folder is necessary for fail2ban start. I am using tmpfs (ramdisk) as /var/run which can be beneficial in my use case so after reboot all data inside /var/run are gone. /var/run/fail2ban is created during port install - ad I know it should be recreated during script start.
Just simple fix in rc script is needed:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/fail2ban is missing
start_precmd="install -d -m 640 /var/run/fail2ban"
or something more sophisticated?
Environment:
·       Fail2Ban version (including any possible distribution suffixes): 0.11.1
·       OS, including release name/version: FreeBSD 12.1 p2
·        Fail2Ban installed via OS/distribution mechanisms
·        You have not applied any additional foreign patches to the codebase
·        Some customizations were done to the configuration (provide details below is so)
The issue:
fail2ban is not starting when /var/run/fail2ban folder is missing
Steps to reproduce
delete /var/run/fail2ban and try to start fail2ban
Expected behavior
/var/run/fail2ban is recreated by rc script
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/2634

Pozdrawiam / Best regards,

Florian Koczan