What is the actual syntax used to FLAVOR ports?

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Tue Feb 11 19:01:02 UTC 2020

Mathieu Arnold writes:
 > [...]
 > Flavors have been documented from day one.
 >
 > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/flavors.html
 >
 > (I kinda know because I wrote (most of) the flavors code, and I also
 > write (most of) the documentation.)

But, and I think that this is where this thread began, I can't find
any documentation for the end user and the hints that I have found are
not very discover-able.

The FreeBSD Handbook section for using ports [using-ports] doesn't
even contain the word "flavors".

I can't find any mention in the docs of how to select a particular
flavor while building a port (make FLAVOR=py27) or when installing a
particular flavored pkg (e.g. py-37-s3cmd).

<deleted a bunch of stuff once I found out that...>

I just discovered that a port's FreshPorts page includes a list of
acceptable flavors (e.g. [py-s3cmd], [emacs]), which is super-useful.

I can't find a similar command line invocation and don't see anything
relevant in the `Default targets` section of bsd.port.mk.

Have I missed something somewhere?

g.

[emacs]: https://www.freshports.org/editors/emacs/
[py-s3cmd]: https://www.freshports.org/net/py-s3cmd/