Xfce, xfce4-terminal, and UTF-8

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Thu Dec 31 22:58:02 UTC 2020

On 12/31/20 3:11 PM, George Mitchell wrote:
> I set LOCALE to en_US.UTF-8 and LC_CTYPE to C.  Upon login, I run
> setxkbmap -option compose:lwin.  Consequently, I can enter all the
> UTF-8 characters I need, such as é, ç, and even ™, into most X-based
> programs I run.  When I first set this up, over a year ago, it also
> worked for xfce4-terminal, but that stopped working earlier this
> year.  (At this point, I can't tell you when exactly, because I
> just worked around the problem with mousepad as necessary.)  Does
> anyone know the correct fix for this?
>
> Happy New Year, and let's all have a great FreeBSD-based 2021!
> -- George

I guess I should have been a little more specific about the exact
failure.  I press the Compose key and two more keys, provoking no
response at all from xfce4-terminal, but any following keys act
normally.  I'm pretty sure it all worked under FBSD 11.3, and it
started to fail some time after I upgraded to 11.4 (don't quote me
on that) and hasn't worked since I upgraded to 12.1.  (By the way,
the same failure afflicts plain xterm.)                -- George