portmaster new development

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 28 22:34:43 UTC 2020

Am 28.12.20 um 22:07 schrieb Michael Grimm:>> On 28. Dec 2020, at 21:41,
Stefan Esser <se at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> Poudriere works best on sufficiently powerful build servers and it
>> often requires rebuilding dependencies over hours when I just want to
>> test a new port before committing it.
>
> Excuse me, but that is not true in this generality. I do run poudriere on ZFS in a cloud instance with 7G of memory and a CPU of 2.1 MHz. Never had to wait for more then one hour for recompiling *all* of my 240+ ports for STABLE-12. YMMV, yes, but stating that in that totality is nonsense, at least IMHO.

My build host is much bigger and I often have to build
dependencies over night before I can test-build a new
port with poudriere.

Maybe your ports do not have as many big dependencies,
but building LLVM and GCC as a dependency for 3 release
versions takes its time and whenever these ports have
been updated I cannot run "poudriere test" for my new
port before the compilers are updated.

If there are no complex dependencies, you are right,
but MESA, KDE (or even Qt5) and all ports that need
a specific compiler version that is receiving updates
cause excessive delays before a port can be test built
with poudriere.

So yes, YMMV, but it depends on the complexity of the
dependencies. And I test with different options in
the different jails (e.g. with/without DOCS, one with
non-standard PREFIX, etc.) for a better test coverage.
Therefore I cannot fetch pre-compiled compilers and
other dependencies to speed up my port tests.

And this might be typical for poudriere users. If you
do not want to build with non-default options you are
better served by using pre-compiled packages.

Regards, STefan