editors/vim needs devel/llvm90 and devel/llvm10

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Dec 2 11:50:53 UTC 2020

El día martes, diciembre 01, 2020 a las 02:25:38p. m. -0700, Adam Weinberger escribió:

> Jan's answer is completely correct about why both get pulled in and
> that it's possible to avoid concurrent llvms by setting
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS.
>
> The default vim setup involves the gtk3 frontend. The list of gtk3
> requirements is growing without bounds at this point, to the point
> that I can't even test built vim with its default frontend (it's well
> over 14 hours of build time just to build the dependencies).
>
> While the end-user package burden is significantly lower, I suspect
> very, very few users actually make use of the gtk3 frontend-specific
> features. Honestly, the plain x11 frontend is probably sufficient for
> the vast majority of gvim users (it's what I test with), and if you
> don't use GUI vim at all then I strongly encourage the vim-console
> package (or vim with the CONSOLE option enabled).
>
> GVim being all things to all people made sense when the build time
> barely differed, but this is no longer the case. If I could make vim
> just be the console package and vim-gtk3 be just the gvim binary, I
> would. Unfortunately, the vim binary itself links with the frontend
> toolkit.
>
> Of course, there's nothing in this rant that answers your question at
> all, Matthias.

Adam,

Thanks for all this additional clarification. In the host (where
poudriere is running) I always install some ports before running
poudriere, like

ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel
shells/bash
www/nginx
www/wget
devel/subversion
editors/vim
sysutils/tmux

and in the options for editors/vim I disabled all graphical stuff; but
forgot to move this into the options directory for the jail :-(

I have done what Jan suggested and for editors/vim it only compiled llvm10;
but now for some other dependency, some 1000 ports later, it is making
llvm11 also; do I have any chance based on the poudriere ports list to
see, which port is now pulling in llvm11?

Btw: My poudriere cooking machine is a Dell PowerEdge r210 rack unit
with:

RAM:
real memory  = 17179869184 (16384 MB)

CPU:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz (3292.59-MHz K8-class CPU)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs

disks:
da0: <SEAGATE ST3300656SS 0004> Fixed Direct Access SPC-3 SCSI device
da0: 300.000MB/s transfers
da0: 286102MB (585937500 512 byte sectors)
da1: <SEAGATE ST3300656SS HS09> Fixed Direct Access SPC-3 SCSI device
da1: 300.000MB/s transfers
da1: 286102MB (585937500 512 byte sectors)

da0: /dev/da0p2 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
da1: zpool create poudriere /dev/da1

Some years ago, the company I'm working for, came to the conclusion "we
move all to cloud data centers" and decommissioned all the racks. I was lucky
enough to save one of the units (but stupid enough to save only one).
The one I mounted into a wooden "rack" below my desk, see here for a
photo: http://www.unixarea.de/Dell-PowerEdge-r210.jpg
and it's just doing fine there compiling my ~2000 ports in ~3 days.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045