mail/mailman v3?

Chris portmaster at BSDforge.com
Thu Apr 30 02:55:58 UTC 2020

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 02:03:20 +0200 Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de said

> Am 28.04.20 um 22:02 schrieb Chris:
> > In sentiment I am inline with your thoughts as well.
> > Would it be a worthy project to create a mailman(2)-lts port?
> > I'd be fully up for helping, and or creating it myself.
> > There's a port that's a shim for py2.x-->py3.x called 2to3, or something
> > like that. It also wouldn't be that difficult to simply modify mailman(2)
> > to adopt the py3.x language changes.
>
> Given that Mailman is mainly a text processing machine with various
> heads (mail, web and CGI, command line) interfaces, and one of the ideas
> driving the incompatible Python 3 was to clean up the delineation of the
> strings/bytes/unicode types from one another and see to encoding. we'd
> be in for lots of - ironically speaking - "fun" - meaning code audits,
> revisions, possibly explicit code to write for the front lines to
> properly decode external input and encode internal output.
The string stuff is the challenge (in python), and having just taken a
closer look, 3.x makes some changes in this area as well. Which only makes
the same challenges _different_. :(

> I haven't looked into too much detail, but attaining 100% conversion and
> test coverage would be a challenge and possibly a major undertaking.
>
> I'd assume had it been as simple as 2to3 or py-futurize or adopting
> py-six, someone might have done that already.
After looking closer, I'm inclined to say the (work) load appears close
to the same. Only the tasks have changed.

I really like Perl a lot more for all this string/byte handling stuff.
Maybe Majordomo? B-}

--Chris